Custom iPhone Carrier Logos

Image via Chris

iOS 6? Please head over here.

Have you ever looked at your carrier name in the status bar of your iPhone? Chances are you have. If you’ve ever wondered where this actually comes from – this is really just an image contained in the carrier’s bundle of settings.

This makes it much easier for this to be customised or changed. Carriers can (naturally) and do change how their network appears – Optus changed from ‘OPTUS’ in firmwares lower than 4.x to ‘YES OPTUS’ in iOS 5. Telstra choose to display ‘3TELSTRA’ as ‘Telstra’, (and likewise for 3 – choosing to appear as ‘3’ instead of 3TELSTRA)

This is also handy for users – carrier bundles are easily edited and tweaked by users and can be deployed semi-officially – the same way carriers can deploy themselves on the side.

While in iOS 5 many of the actual carrier configuration data is signed and will refuse to work if the signature is broken – the images are free rein. You can do whatever you want here.

Inspired by a premade Telstra carrier logo installer for jailbroken phones (courtesy of Kin3tiK on Whirlpool), I decided to take a look and see how far I could get. Turns out if you can get your hands on a carrier bundle, you can throw your own images in.

[box color=green]These will only work on retina devices – the iPhone 4, 4S and iPad+Cellular (third generation). Please see my blog post on carrier bundles for more information.[/box]

(Note that these will only apply to the one carrier – installing the Optus bundle won’t change your Telstra logo, but will appear if you insert an Optus SIM for example)
[box color=blue]As of iOS 5.1, it seems you cannot overwrite a carrier bundle with one of the same version. Therefore, these bundles have a higher version number than than the official release.
This means when your carrier issues their own update, you won’t get it over the air if it’s not higher than the version you’ve got installed. This also makes it harder to go back to stock. As such, the only guaranteed way to go back to stock settings is to restore your iPhone. I’m not responsible if anything goes awry.[/box] [box color=orange]iOS 5.1 ships with carrier bundles version 12[/box] [box color=yellow]Please note I have only tested the Telstra logos – I am unable to test the others.[/box] [box color=orange]All bundles below are version 12.5 (unless stated otherwise)[/box]

Right click on the logo you want for your carrier below, and save it to your desktop.
Telstra

The following are version 12.5.1

iPad – version 12.5 with tethering enabled.

Vodafone

Optus

Virgin

TPG

Telecom NZ

(TPG and Telecom NZ logos via Chris Simmons.)

To install this on your own iPhone, first you must tell iTunes that you can side load your own carrier bundles. Usually iTunes will not let you point your way to a carrier bundle on your own computer. This is easily fixed;

For both Mac OS X and Windows, make sure iTunes is closed before proceeding.

For Mac OS X; open up Terminal.app and paste in the following

defaults write com.apple.itunes carrier-testing -bool true

For Windows, open up Run (Winkey+R) and paste the following;

"%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

If you’re running Windows x64 bit, do this instead:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Done! Now simply connect your iPhone, open up iTunes, select your iPhone from the sidebar, and hold down option (Windows users, hold down Shift instead) while you click on restore. Now simply point your way to the .ipcc file you wish to load. You may also want to repeat the above, but click on ‘Check for Updates’ instead.

Now once that is finished, reboot your iPhone and you should be good to go.

[box color=blue]When a new carrier update (or iOS firmware) is pushed out with a higher version than you’ve got installed, it’ll just overwrite your settings and logo. Please don’t go and install an earlier version than you’ve got installed (eg, using v11 when iOS 5.1 came with v12). It won’t work[/box]

If your phone blows up or won’t turn on, I’m not responsible. You do this at your own risk. 🙂

Enjoy.

Comments

1. James says

Could you make one for vodafone? Maybe just the Vodafone symbol? or the full word “vodafone” instead of “voda au” ?

• Beau Giles says

Hey James – have added two different versions for you to choose from. Let me know if they work.

• James says

The first one that says “vodafone” looks really good. And i love it even mor because it doesn’t require a jailbreak. Thank you! 😀

• James says

Also, i’ve noticed that you don’t have a link to revert back to the old Vodafone/Optus Logos like you do for the Telstra one. Could you put that up as well? Thanks for your hard work.

2. barefootman says

i installed it and i get the telstra logo, that’s great. however, the appstore keeps causing the iPhone to reset itself every time i try and open it.
    i downloaded the normal telstra carrier file and installed it the same way i installed the carrier file with the logo but the carrier logo and the resetting won’t go away!

3. Ricky says

Hi, I did this with the Vodafone Symbol, but I need to take my iPhone into the apple store and I want to get the old, generic “voda AU” text back in the corner without restoring. How do I do this? Could you upload an .ipcc file for the original like you have done with Telstra? Thanks

4. Wayne says

Just wanted to let you know that

“%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

didn’t work for me on Windows 7 64bit.

I used instead

“C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

I found the path from the iTunes icon properties target directory

5. Tim says

This is great! Nice tip!

I would love to put my company logo at the top. How do I save an image a an .ipcc?

6. Josh says

Anything in particular that would cause images to only show in grey rather than colour? Thanks! 🙂

7. Luke Chandler says

Hi Beau,
    Could you please make a carrier config for 2degreesmobile.co.nz and skinny.co.nz?

Thanks 🙂 🙂

• Beau Giles says

Hi Luke. Do you have high res (preferably transparent) copies of the logos that could be used?
      Cheers,
      Beau

• Luke Chandler says

Hi Beau,
        I can make some up tonight, can you let me know of the sizes?

Cheers,
        Luke 🙂

8. Josiah says

You can save time by just turning airplane mode on/off instead of rebooting phone. 🙂

9. SHAUN says

I TRIED COPYING AND PASTING THE LINK INTO WINDOW+R COMMAND AND IT DIDNT WORK. HOW CAN I GET INTO THE SETTINGS TO ALLOW THIS?

• Chris Brown says

IF YOU HAVE 64 BIT WINDOWS INSTALLED YOU WILL NEED TO USE “%programfiles(x86)%” INSTEAD OF %PROGRAMFILES%. I’D SAY THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM

• michael tomlinson says

note that you should type the quotes yourself – the web ‘smart quotes’ are the wrong ones.

10. Alex says

I just tried the Vodafone logo and it is too big and doesn’t fit in the bar, any chance of making it a little smaller?

11. says

Nice – however I’ve noticed with the stock 12.0 carrier settings bundle on iOS 5.1 on Telstra the 4S is frequently dropping the network and going back to “Searching” – much as it did prior to Telstra releasing an updated settings bundle for 5.0.1.

I suspect another updated bundle from Telstra will be forthcoming shortly.

12. Carl says

May be a silly question, but are the originals available for download, and can they be restored in the same way?

• Beau Giles says

Hi Carl – I’ll try and do this over the next few days. Keep in mind these’ll be a higher version number again than the stock copies that came with your iPhone.

13. says

Is it not possible to use say, 12.0.0.1 so that even with a 12.0.1 it’ll still be newer?

Silly question I know, but in versioning, 12.1 and 12.0.1 are newer than 12.0.0.1.

• Beau Giles says

As above, tried this and it seems to work fine. I haven’t tried 1.1.x versions before as none of the official Apple supplied bundles use them. I’ll use them from now on.
      I believe when the next carrier updates come out I’ll simply make them 12.1.1 (with or without my logos, as you wish) and then you’ll be set for an official 12.2 (or higher release)

14. Chundermuffin says

Possible to make these 12.0.1 so as not to clash with official 12.1 carrier releases down the track, or does it not matter?

• Beau Giles says

Thanks guys – I’ve tried this and it seems to work fine. I haven’t tried 1.1.x versions before as none of the official Apple supplied bundles use them. I’ll use them from now on.

15. says

I have just tried Vodafone AU, and the logo does not seem to be working on iPhone 4 – iOS 5.0.1

16. Darren says

Just tried to use the ipcc file for three, but I noticed my carrier settings are already version 12.1
    I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1
    I see that max is trying to use vodafone without success so they might already be on version 12.1 as well.
    So you may need to bump both of these up to 12.2 for your .ipcc files to work

• Beau Giles says

Hi Starbuck – that’s great news. Any chance you could post any screenshots of it in action? Would love to see. I don’t have a new iPad.

• todd says

I’ve tried both the Vodafone .ipcc’s on my iPad 3 and while it enables the hotspot feature (which is awesome), it disables the APN changing function under “Settings, Mobile Data” and the APN set in your ipcc is incorrect for my post-paid iPad plan.

I’ve tried upacking the ipcc files and editing the carrier.plist but I’m having no luck getting it to work, any chance of an ipcc with the APN of vfinternet.au?

• CraigJ says

Thanks for a great post Beau.

I also tried the Optus ipcc file with my Optus Post-paid mobile broadband sim in a New IPad. Although the Hotspot Menu appeared, I was no longer able to get data because the APN was not correct.

For post-paid mobile broadband the pan should be “connectme” instead if “yesinternet”.

Unfortunately the optus bundle also hid the ability to edit the apn, so I have now reverted to 12.0

It would be great if your could create and optus bundle for postpaid mobile-broadband with the correct apn (including for tethering).

Thanks Heaps
          Craig

• Soggy says

hi starbuck
      which did you use to get the new ipad 3 to work for enabling personal hotspot on ios 5.1.1
      thanks

17. says

Gave it a try with optus, but didn’t check the carrier version beforehand.
    It looked like all was well, rebooted the phone and the old YES OPTUS is still there. Tried another hard refresh still the same.
    Maybe it’s like Darren where version was already 12.1?

• Rich says

I have also just tried the Optus logo, but still getting the old YES OPTUS. I did check the carrier version beforehand and it was definitely 12.0 so not sure why this won’t work?

18. Kyp says

For windows 64bit use
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe”/setPrefInt carrier-testing 1”
    worked for me

19. Mitch says

iPhone 4S on Telstra here. Tried the blue logo and no go. Does say my carrier is on 12.1 so like others above I agree I think you’d need to update the files to be 12.1.1 or something like that.

20. Matt says

If you apply on the iPad 2, the logo appears blown up and clipped. However, if you open up the bundle and halve the sizes of the icon image files, it works perfectly on iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.

21. Simon Bell says

Hi,

Australian carriers have already updated the packages to 12.1 in the last few days, I checked and was 12.1 on my iPad 3 already. The hotspot was greyed out. I tried this and it now enables the feature but says to call optus to activate. Can you please update a package to 1.20 for optus and I will try on the IPAD 3 and let you know. Thanks in advance awesome work.

22. Leo says

Strange, it updated the carrier to 12.1 but the logo isn’t showing up, even after reboot. Telstra 4S iOS5.1

• Mitch says

Mine did the same, said it was 12.1 but still didn’t get the Telstra logo. I even changed mine to 12.1.1 and reapplied it, which still didn’t give it the logo, just the Telstra text.

23. Tamas Fabian says

Hi,

Do you happen to have European carrier ipcc. T-mobile Hungary for example. No hotspots with new iPad here neither. Would love to try the above method.

Regards

24. Dr. Dre says

Carriers have already updated to 12.1 so these no longer work currently.

Please can you update 1.20 or something

25. demolution says

Hello,

can you provide an instruction how to make such ipcc file for another carriers?

I live in Russia and just bought the new iPad 64gb 4G AT&T (GSM) (from USA)… With my local carrier sim-card I have working 3G Internet but there is no Personal Hotspot feature…. Also saw, that a lot of people are looking for solution for Personal hotspot on new iPads with 5.1 and not-jailbroken all over the world….

Please tell the world how to do such files?

26. Sean says

Hello.

Thank you for the great time and effort put into this!
    As the previous poster implied, a lot of people are looking for a solution to enable personal hotspot on the new iPad, and these ipcc files seem to do it.

I am currently on a network called “Telenor” in Sweden.
    Would be great if a custom ipcc file could be generated for my operator, and other international operators, as I know a lot of people would benefit from.

Feel free to e-mail me if you require any information from my iPad, maybe a database can be created.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

27. cellfonepimp says

Great work first of all, 2 questions. If someone wanted a custom logo for a carrier not listed here, can you make me one? Also if I needed that same ipsw made with a custom prl for that carrier are you able to make it for me? I am willing to pay you for your time if possible. thanks.

28. Martin says

Thanks for the great work!

Are you able to re-post the file as 12.0.1 versions? I opened them up and saw that version.plist still says 12.1 or 12.1.0 – is it safe to change this to 12.0.1 on both sections?

Your response seemingly saying you tried it and it works seems to suggest you tried it and it works, but if so, why not change the ipcc files above to reflect that change too?

Just not sure whether changing it myself is going to stuff things up – hope you can give some advice on whether I should change this myself or not, and simply leave the ipcc files as they are…

29. pankoy says

I’m based in the US and I would like to update my iPhones carrier bundle so I can customize my phone to its utmost potential. I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4s (iOS 5.1) and my carrier is not an official carrier in the US. Im on T-mobile. My iPhone is currently on unknown.bundle (as seen in commcenter.plist thru ibackupboot). I don’t want to jailbreak my iPhone. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE!

30. David says

Hi Beau,

Any chance of updating the Telstra .ipcc files to the next version 12.2 as Telstra is now on 12.1 and i can’t apply your .ipcc files as they are now. I wish i had a mac!

Thanks!

31. Anthony Sara says

Hey Optus worked on my iPhone which is great! But I tried all three Telstra ones on my new iPad “3” and the colour won’t show up on the first 2. The next g one shows colour but the others no.
    I really want the blue one 🙁 please let me know if you can fix it

32. Disgruntled Australian says

Any news on this being able to allow hotspot feature on iPad 3 with firmware iOS 5.1.1?

I really need this feature and feel that apple has falsely advertised the iPad 3 as having this feature but not telling you it is only for 4G and some countries don’t have a compatible network.

What happens if you update the firmware when you have used this exploit?

Has anyone upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 and had problems that has used the hotspot exploit on the iPad 3?

33. Alex Boardman says

Hello, I’m on Optus and have tried to install the carrier update a few times for the colour logo. I restart my phone and it doesn’t work 🙁 my iPhone says my Optus carrier logo is 12.0 and my software is 5.1.1. Do you have any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

34. Shane says

Hi,
    There’s a couple of people who have lost the ability to access APN settings (me too!). I fixed this by downloading the iPhone configuration utility, and setting the APN settings within the application. Worked with iPad 3.
    Still can’t do hotspot though with iOs 5.1.1…
    Has anyone got the official optus ipcc file?
    Cheers

35. Craig says

I’m Lost here. Do I Need To Download? From your Site or Chris’s Site? I’m Wanting the Telecon XT Bundle LOGO. Is Yours Better or is Chris’s Better to Use? Or are they both the Same? I have a Jailbroken Iphone 3GS Have IOS 5.1.1 And My Carrier is 12.0 under Settings – General About. Does the latest Version of 12.5 Still Work on my Phone? And Will I Lose my Personal Hotspot?

Many Thanks 🙂

• Beau Giles says

Hi Craig. Either bundle from either site is fine. And 12.5 will work fine unless for whatever reason you’ve already got a version 12.5 bundle!

36. doloresdadd says

When I go Shift Update, the computer is looking for .ipsw file and wont show the ipcc file. Any ideas?

• Beau Giles says

Hi there,
      Make sure you have set the settings from iTunes from Run (or Terminal on a Mac) first – else iTunes won’t allow you to select an .ipcc file.

• Beau Giles says

Hey Jados,
          As mentioned in the article, you need to paste a command in run. Go back to ‘For Windows, open up Run (Winkey+R) and paste the following;’ in the article.

37. Sarwar says

where can i get the default factory unlocked IPCC that comes with factory unlocked iPhone 4S. i wish to use the same for the New iPad. Is it possible???

38. Gwillbella says

I had read I could use this process to then enable me to use my iPad as a personal hotspot. How do I go about this?

39. James says

Hi,
    This looks awesome and I really want to do it but I’m still unsure whether it will blow my carrier up or not and I would just like the all clear from you…

I have an iPhone 3Gs (8GB)
    on Telstra 12.0 and am running iOS 5.1.1

Is it compatible?
    I hope so! 😀

• Mitch says

It won’t blow your carrier up. I’m also with Telstra and it worked fine 🙂

Back your iPhone up before doing it, to be safe, but you shouldn’t have any trouble. If it doesn’t work and your phone stops connecting it would be nothing a restore can’t fix.

40. says

The .ipcc files seem to be just zip files, so would I be able to piggyback your work to replace the images with blank ones? Or maybe an image of a cell tower or something. This is a good project, but I’d rather use it to remove the corporate logos altogether.

41. Nat says

I have managed to set up personal hotspot on my iPad only problem that Optus ver 12.5 has got APN default as CONNECT and my plan was on CONNECTCAP but after update new carrier version the function APN has gone, can’t going in to change APN afterward. To solve this problem can u create another Optus carrier ver 12.5 with APN as CONNECTCAP for optus power pack plan please.

Trackbacks

1. How To Get Personal Hotspot Working On New Aussie iPad Right Now Without Jailbreaking | wifihotspot.za.net says:

[…] whole process is, frankly, stupendously simple. Dean was using an ipcc file from Beau Giles’ web site, here to try to change his logo. It didn’t work, but the instructions do. Basically, what you […]